Please note that this post is also a permanent page and so will remain in the ‘Pages’ column (right hand side of the screen) until booking closes next May.
With many thanks to Deacon Gill Newman (London) who is handling the bookings.
DEACONS ON THE MOVE 2020
“A magnificent conference!” “Wonderful!”
“Congratulations on a very good day.”
“An incredible success.”
“Fantastic day, I really feel excited about the future!”
“An excellent gathering – inspiring!”
Just some of the comments following our 2018 conference! Building on this success, booking is now open for the second National Conference of Distinctive Deacons in the Church of England, ‘Deacons on the Move 2020’.
We are particularly delighted that our speaker is the Rt Rev Dr Martin Seeley, Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. Bishop Martin is Chair of the Church of England Ministry Council and his theme will be, ‘Towards a Flourishing Diaconate: Theological, Pastoral and Formational Perspectives’.
Bishop Martin brings a wealth of vocational experience with him. He is addressing all the major elements of the diaconate and promises to be stimulating, challenging and exciting!
The day will include opportunities to hear from and be inspired by
- the work and ministry of other Distinctive Deacons
- meeting other Distinctive Deacons and discovering who else is working in your region
- considering the setting up of regional groups
- hearing about launch plans for an exciting new national network for Distinctive Deacons
- sharing in worship together.
Anyone staying overnight on the previous evening, Friday May 15th, is also welcome to meet up for an evening meal at a local restaurant and join in with a service of Compline with Queens’ students.
This conference is a unique opportunity for Distinctive Deacons in the UK and beyond, many of whom work in isolation, to come together for fellowship, teaching and encouragement in the rich vocation to which they have been called. Others interested in learning more about the distinctive diaconate, including those exploring a possible calling of their own, are also most welcome to attend. Deacons, deacon ordinands, deacon enquirers, vocations advisers and DDOs are all invited.
The conference is being held on Saturday May 16th 2020 in the Frances Young Centre at The Queen’s Foundation, Edgbaston, Birmingham. It is easily accessible by public transport and has good parking. Further details about the venue along with travel directions can be found on their website at www.queens.ac.uk. For details about accommodation see FAQ below.
With little or no diaconal training generally available to distinctive deacons at a diocesan level, one of the aims of this conference is to help equip deacons in their ministry. Delegates are therefore encouraged to talk to their Dioceses about claiming the conference costs from Ministerial Training budgets. Unlimited tea and coffee, freshly baked cakes and biscuits, and a hot lunch are included in the ticket price.
*If you have any special dietary requirements please let us know in advance by emailing Deaconsonthemove@gmail.com.
**A small number of bursaries may be available to help with the cost of the conference – please contact the organisers for further information.
Q. How can I contact the organisers?
A. You can contact the organisers by emailing email@example.com
Q. I want to stay overnight – can you recommend any accommodation?
A. There are a number of options if you require overnight accommodation:
- A very limited number of non ensuite rooms are available at the Queens Foundation from £15-20. Breakfast is an additional £3.50. Please book directly with Queen’s at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Lucas House Hotel offers comfortable, low cost B & B just 5 minutes walk away from the Frances Young Centre. Please book directly. https://www.lucashousehotel.com/
- The International Mission Centre also offers excellent rates for B & B and is about 10-15 minutes drive away from the Francis Young Centre. Please book directly. https://www.bmsworldmission.org
- Q. I would like to meet up with others for a meal the previous evening, Friday May 15th – how can I book?
A. Please email the organisers at Deaconsonthemove@gmail.com and we will send you details.
Q. Can I get a refund if I book and then discover nearer the time that I can’t attend?
A. Unfortunately tickets cannot be refunded once purchased. Please contact the organisers if you find yourself in this situation.
Q. Where can I discover more about the Distinctive Diaconate?
A. A wealth of useful information and articles about the Distinctive Diaconate can be found on the blog ‘Deacon’ https://deaconstories.wordpress.com